top of page
Arla's Birth - 2019

Arla Nicola Bishop was born at 8:40am on Thursday 10th October. 

We wanted to let you know how everything went, and how your classes were able to help us.

We had a great pregnancy, very straightforward and I loved every minute.

After your classes we listened to either music or the relaxations most nights as we went to sleep and I’d also listen to the affirmations over and over.

From 36 weeks I was drinking lots of red raspberry leaf tea and doing my perennial massage, and from 37 weeks I was using the clary sage oil and gave collecting colostrum a go (although it didn’t really go anywhere!)I was crampy and we were mega excited for our birthing experience for several weeks, although Arla didn’t make an appearance until 40+6. I think this is where HB was phenomenal!

There were lots of messages, questions and suggestions from those around us of how to bring Arla along (as I’m sure every pregnant lady gets!) We saw the midwife at 40 weeks and she offered a sweep, however with the knowledge you gave us, we knew Arla was healthy, safe, and just not ready to join us yet. We declined and I made the most of some very lazy days, had some beauty treatments done, and booked myself for pregnancy acupuncture. My session was Thursday at 9:30, however Arla beat me too it and arrived an less than an hour before! Luckily I was able to text the lady from the delivery room!


Our labour was incredible. My contractions began at 1am and I was excited but completely relaxed. I stood and rocked through them, until 5am when they were very close together. So I showered and we made our way to the hospital. We arrived at around 7am and I was already 8cm. I believe (although she didn’t say) that our first midwife was a Hypnobirthing midwife. She’d clearly read our birth plan and took us to a room with dim lights and fairy lights. She offered to run me a bath and just let me be. I knew I wouldn’t make the bath, and so I climbed onto all fours on the bed and the animal noises began. The midwife was quiet and only offered support when I asked.


Chris rubbed my back, played with my hair, and gave me constant encouragement. Pain relief didn’t even enter my mind, it was challenging but completely manageable.Arla came into the world with me on my back. I did need to be cut, and she was assisted by a small ventouse as her heart rate had dropped. However all along I didn’t worry, I just knew she was ok. She was placed onto my chest, and me and Chris just stared at her for the longest time. We breastfed, did delayed cord clamping, agreed her name and were left to take in all that had happened. We were home before tea.Everyone has since asked me ‘how was your labour’, often wincing as they do. I just beam at them and reply that it was the most perfect experience ever.


I enjoyed every moment and would do it again tomorrow. Similarly the staff at the hospital couldn’t believe how calm Chris or I were, from arrival to birth to leaving. We felt knowledgeable and completely in control.Thank you so much for being part of this. Sorry for the very long email, however I honestly don’t think our story would be the same had it not been for HB.All the best, and perhaps we’ll see you again if we’re fortunate enough to one day have baby number 2!


Thank you again.Love, Beth, Chris and Arla x

bottom of page